I absolutely LOVE listening to podcasts.
lately I have been obsessed with The Thrive Global podcast by Arianna Huffington.
She has Tim Ferris as a quest who is known as a “Human Guinea Pig”. He's an author, speaker, investor & a productivity guru plus he's the author of four #1 best-selling books—most recently, Tribe of Mentors.
In the episode Tim talks about a favourite saying of his that's really stuck with me.
'What would it look like if it were easy?'
Far too often we make things difficult.
We put things off because they are too hard or because we're scared.
The reality is, it's not always 'hard' to do the things we want to do, but we choose to see it that way. We choose how big or small we let things become.
The next time you're feeling like something is too complicated or difficult, ask yourself 'what would this look like if it was easy' and see what you can come up with.
For example, a good friend of mine has an amazing idea for a podcast. He's wanted to make this podcast for a long time and has been slowly chipping away at it. The first time he told me about it he had so many excuses as to why he hadn't created it already.
1) He needed art work first
2) He needed to buy $1,200 worth of gear
3) He needed to sort questions for the guests
4) He needed to confirm the guests etc
By the end of our conversation I had told him Tim Ferris's term 'what would it look like if it was easy' and this is what we got:
1) Get artwork made on Fiverr
2) Use a local studio he already had access to instead of buying his own
3) Run the podcast as a pilot for a season of 6 episodes. That way he could get away with interviewing local people he already knew without stressing too much about availability or them saying no. He could see if he actually enjoyed making the podcast as it was going to be a lot of work and investment of time and energy. It would be a shame for him to go all in and not even enjoy it.
I'm all about going all in but that doesn't need to be a financial strain of all in, believe me I've done my fair share of MVP.
What do you think of the term 'what would it look like if it was easy?'
Let me know in the comments below and don't forget, the next time you find yourself making excuses of why something is too hard, pause, and pull it all back to its simplest form and GIVE IT A GO!